written by Ron Menaker, and
the Bedlington Terrier Club of America Manual, 1999
Bedlington Terrier Club of America became a member club of the AKC
in 1936. In 1886 the first Bedlington Terrier was entered into AKCs
stud book. Whelped on May 13, 1884, this dark blue by Quayside Lad
ex Jean named Ananian owned by W.S. Jackson of Toronto, Canada and
bred by J. Hall of England, had won first at Crystal Palace in 1885.
At that time only 26 breeds were recognized by the AKC opposed to
the 140 breeds recognized today.
Based on available
registration statistics from 1945 to the present, the breed was
most popular in the 1960s. Registrations peaked in 1965 with
816 dogs registered and 1993 saw the least dogs registered at 197.
former delegates have served as AKC directors. William A. Rockefeller,
delegate from 1950-1973, sat on the Board from 1958-1972. The delegate
from 1974-1988, Adolph F. Kunca, was a director from 1970-1978.
Ronald H. Menaker, delegate from 1988-1992 (who now represents the
Des Moines Obedience Training Club), was appointed to the Board
in May of 1996.